POINTSŪ Value: 3
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 70 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Since split peas don't need to be soaked in advance, they're excellent for making a last-minute meal out of what's left in your fridge or pantry.
* 1 small onion, diced
* 1 small carrot(s), diced
* 1 cup dry split peas, about 1 cup, yellow or green
* 4 cup fat-free chicken broth
* 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
* 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
* In a nonstick saucepan sprayed with nonstick spray, stir together onions and carrots. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until vegetables begin to color.
* Stir in split peas, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until peas are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season to taste.
cblessum on 8/4/2009