Jalapeno Poppers, POINTS® value per serving: 3
Preparation Time: 12 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
1 sprays olive oil cooking spray
2 oz light cream cheese
1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp fat-free mayonnaise
8 small jalapeno pepper(s)
1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
3/4 cup cornflake crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese and mayonnaise; mix well and set aside. Halve jalapenos lengthwise and remove seeds. (Oil and seeds from the peppers can be irritating — wear gloves or put plastic bags over your hands. And don’t rub your eyes.) Stuff jalapeno halves with cream cheese mixture.
3. Place egg substitute in a shallow dish. Place cornflake crumbs in a separate shallow dish. Dip stuffed jalapeno halves into egg substitute and then roll in cornflake crumbs to coat.
4. Transfer jalapenos to prepared baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
5. Bake until filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve hot. Yields 2 poppers per serving. (Note: You can prepare the poppers a day in advance and place them on a covered baking sheet in the fridge. Cook as directed when ready to eat. Or, cook the poppers in advance and then reheat in the microwave.)
cblessum on 8/2/2007